Sunday, November 05, 2006

A beautiful vision of life...

I am in Loveland, Colorado with Jordan attending a conference at Group Workcamps. We arrived yesterday and stayed at some hotel in downtown Denver before travelling to Fort Collins for worship this morning. I must tell you that this may be one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen and I've barely seen it. There are mountains which frame out the view to the west of where we are- they are majestic, snow capped and stand with a beauty that is overwhelming. I have heard about their beauty, but face to face with it is astounding. Jordan and I are planning to go snowshoeing on Wednesday perhaps before heading back to Denver Thursday night for our flight out on Friday. The altitude is a bit something to get used to- I got up early and walked for a bit this morning (very cold in Denver, but there was something about the sun on my left and the mountains on my right) wow- I could get used to this. I always have said that I'd have to live near water, but I think it's now water or mountains.

On the plane here I was listening to some Steve Brown (www.keylife.org) from his podcast and he made a statement that I've got to share- I think he said it was a quote from Charles Spurgeon talking about our need to trust in God's providence when we cannot see beyond the day- it said, "If you cannot trace His hand, trust His heart." Profound.

As we worshipped this morning at Grace Church (www.gracefc.net) Richard Rieves preached a profound message- I'd highly reccomend his podcast as well- I'm sure there's a link to it on their site. Today's message was about the kingdom of God and how it ALWAYS includes the broken and misfits of life, get the MP3- amen, amen. If you live close or visit this area- you have to visit Grace church- Richard gets IT.

Last random statment of Larroux reality (isn't it a blessed thing to live under the smiling face of our Father in Heaven and finally be free to be real- I hate the facade of Evangelicalanity..) anyway we were singing a hymn this morning titled "Praise to the Lord" and there is a stanza at the end of the third verse that reads, "Hast thou not seen, how thy desires ere' have been, granted in what He ordaineth?" to which I responded verbally without realizing it, "No." That's the truth isn't it? Have you seen how all of your desires have been granted in what God has ordained? Surely not if you're honest. Perhaps I'm too honest. Perhaps I ought to put on the preacher smile and give a good ole Presbyterian, "mmmmm" at the end of that. I think that's what makes the Spurgeon quote so powerful to me- I cannot often trace His hand, so I'm learning to trust His heart.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

glad you got to see the beautiful mountains, jean! what a great time of year to go! now you know why i fell in love with montana....

charles.clowers said...

Jean,
I completely agree with you that not all my desires have been granted in God's soverign will, but I am not sure that this is how the Hymn writer meant it. There are two verses left out in most modern hymnals that speak to those times when it feels like things are not going you're way, so for some encouragement,

"Praise to the Lord, Who, when tempests their warfare are waging,
Who, when the elements madly around thee are raging,
Biddeth them cease, turneth their fury to peace,
Whirlwinds and waters assuaging.

Praise to the Lord, Who, when darkness of sin is abounding,
Who, when the godless do triumph, all virtue confounding,
Sheddeth His light, chaseth the horrors of night,
Saints with His mercy surrounding.'

I am not disagreeing with you at all, actually giving you a hearty 'mmmmmm', as you would put, but THANK GOD that I don't get my hearts desire all the time.